Friday, November 16, 2007

New Additions...

Went off to the doctor's today to see about the scans I had done yesterday.
I have a ganglion in my left hand. A ganglion is a cyst that forms in a joint, most usually due to wear and tear and sometimes due to an injury. I think mine occurred because my daughter likes to pull on my fingers and she probably tore the tendon. The cyst is filled with a clear jelly like goop, and is not always painful (although mine is - very painful!) and they can sometimes go away on their own. Since mine's been there since at least the beginning of the year, if not before, I don't like my chances of the ganglion just disappearing. My options then are surgery (not a chance) or to have the ganglion injected with cortisone. In any case, both have to be done by an orthopedic surgeon, so it's money we don't have yet. I will just have to put up with it for the time being.
My left foot is another story. I have arthritis there, and a spur on the heel. A spur is extra growth of bone, and it occurs around a site of inflammation or injury - in my case, the inflammation is because I have both Achilles tendonitis (inflammation where the Achilles tendon joins the heel bone) and plantar fasciitis (inflammation of the thick band of tissues that stretch across the bottom of your foot, joining to your heel at the bottom). Nothing I can do about that but get comfortable shoes ('daggy shoes' my doctor calls them lol) and exercise. When we first moved into our home, I used to spend the whole day doing housework and by the time I finished, my heels were burning. I put it down to the fact I was brought up in a house with floorboards, which have lot more give than our new house with a concrete foundation.
Now at least I know some of my pain has a name and a reason. So, I am getting some answers for the aches I have had for so many years - although, I still put the unknown down the the fibromyalgia LOL.

No comments: